The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Filed under Voice

Discrimination needs to end

Depression, aggression, confusion, and amusement. These are emotions that we experience when we discriminate others, or get discriminated. Judging others isn’t okay, and we shouldn’t tolerate it.

We have all done it before. We put others down because we don’t necessarily agree with what a person says or what they do. Society has formed an idea of how we should all behave, socialize, what we wear, our religion, and how we should be overall.

“We are put under pressure to meet a certain standard, but really you should just do whatever makes you happy,” Stellar Knapp, 10, said.

Not everyone believes this is true though. Actually, a lot of people think discrimination is okay to act onMost of the time they don’t even realize they are doing it. Maybe it’s because people do it so often, or its become the norm in today’s society.

According to an online Twitter poll, 20% of 104 students say discrimination is not okay, 20% say it is okay, and 15% say it depends on the situation. This survey says that no not everyone thinks it’s the right thing to do, but we still have plenty of people believing in it.

Not only does this happen in person, but discrimination occurs online. Many people report being harassed on social media more than being confronted in person. We find it easier and less harmful to do it anonymously, rather than face to face, even though it is not less hurtful.

“I don’t see online bullying very often here, it is a pretty good non bullying place. But I think equality is very important and we shouldn’t judge people,” Parker Wallace, 12, said.

We should immediately make a difference. People should not judge others on their age, disability, genetics, origin, race/color, religion, or sexual relations. If you really think about it, there is no point.

“It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do, or where you came from. You should always be what or who you want to be, and don’t worry about what other people think,” Shelby Boso, 12, said.

In America, you have a freedom of speech and to protest, but that doesn’t mean we should just say whatever we want. With the right that we have we should use it for good. Say something nice. Speak up for those who can’t because they often need it. Rise above those who won’t defend themselves, and those who discriminate others.