The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Top Ten Movies: What to Watch for in 2017

Kara Ragan, 11

The start of a New Year means more marketing, and with that, there are a multitude of movies whose release dates are in 2017.

Remakes of movies such as 1933’s King Kong, Kong Skull Island, the 1968 film Planet of the Apes in The War of the Planet of the Apes, and Disney’s Classic Romance Beauty and the Beast are sweeping theatres. The saga of Jack Sparrow continues in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which may be the end of his legacy when a ghost from his past craves revenge. The continuum of Fast and Furious adds an eighth movie to the series and Pitch Perfect returns in another Acapella battle. DC presents Wonder Woman, one of the first female superhero movies, Wolverine 3 Logan, and Marvel will put out a new Thor movie and Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

“Beauty and the Beast brings back my childhood. I also love Emma Watson’s accent,” Kaelin

Tabor, 10, said.

According to the-numbers.com, in 2016 $11,250,163,686 in tickets were sold at the box office. Average families attend a movie once or twice a month, contributing $80 or more to these sales.

“I really enjoy movies. They are a great thing to do with family and friends,” Hayley Koontz, 11, said.

Besides being a great date activity, readers also enjoy movies because of stories. Movies are imagined and created by the writers, unlike books they do not require mental visualization, all one must do is sit back and enjoy.

“They (movies) tell really good stories. I usually watch movies with my dad. I really like Star Wars Episode 4,” Isaac Tabor, 11, said.

Pop culture centers around superheroes and movie series and these characters dominate social media. Fandom groups form from the storylines of various films and the fanbase almost always wants more of the story.

Other movies get boring and lose audience interest, opening a window for new movies to fill the void the last one left. Previews before movies are an investment for the producers of the movies being advertised. Those who are watching already are in the mood for a movie and will likely see another. Another factor moviegoers put into perspective is if a movie has their favorite actors or actresses. Some actors like Scarlet Johanson put a monopoly on the movie market due to their fantastic and memorable characters.

“I think Wonder Woman will be a good thing because we do  not have many female superheroes, so it brings power to women,” Koontz said.

Movie genres are created to fit any personality type or occasion. Billions of movies have been produced in the genres of Horror, Romance, Action, Sci-Fi, Comedy, and Animation. Teenagers and adults, alike are guilty of binge watching their favorite shows or movies and 2017 has accommodated itself for screen-lovers.