The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Learning from LaVar Ball

Devan Zorn, 10

In sports there’s always that one parent in the stand that yells throughout the whole game, and devotes all of their energy into their children’s sports. Recently LaVar ball, a retired professional football player and college basketball player, is the father of three young men who are well on their way to the NBA. Ball has been all over the news for saying ‘crazy’ things everywhere he goes, and he is a perfect example of one of these parents.

LaVar’s three sons who all play basketball. The oldest,Lonzo, currently plays for UCLA, LiAngelo, who is a senior at Chino Hills High School, who has committed to UCLA, and the youngest, LaMelo, who is currently a sophomore at Chino Hills High School who has also committed to UCLA. LaVar puts all of his time & energy into these boys and their basketball. Each of these boys have been living up to their fathers expectations by playing the game better than most kids their age around the world. Although each one of the Ball brothers are outstanding basketball players, it’s been questioned whether they are as good as LaVar Ball makes them out to be in the news, and all over the internet.

LaVar has been all over the media the past couple months for saying things like ‘I can beat Michael Jordan 1-on-1’, or ‘He is better than Steph’, which is a reference to his son Lonzo being better than Stephen Curry, who is a 2 time MVP in the league. His most popular argument was with ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, where he stated his son Lonzo Ball would be better than LeBron James & Michael Jordan, and also where he said he could beat the greatest basketball player of all time, Michael Jordan, 1-on-1. Ball also said ‘LeBron James’ sons are soft babies.’

With LaVar being all over the media saying these things he makes it very difficult for his sons to live up to his expectations, or at least what he’s said to the whole world. Parents like LaVar Ball are important and can be seen as good parents but at the same time they can be viewed as overbearing, out of control, or crazy. At the end of the day he’s just a man who is very supportive of his kids and believes they can do anything, including becoming the best basketball players to ever live.