The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Competitive cheer: Sport or hobby?

A sport is defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. With this in mind, is competitive cheerleading a sport? I believe so.

Competitive cheerleading has over 100,000 athletes involved that continue to be told that when they spend countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears they are just contributing to a hobby.

If the biggest cheerleading competition in the world is hosted at the ESPN Wide World of SPORTS complex, then why are we still questioning the validity? In fact, as of right now, a building devoted to cheerleading is being built on the property. The multi-sport convention center will feature a picture of a cheerleader above the entrance.

So what exactly is competitive cheerleading? The first thing that probably comes to mind is pom poms and sideline chants. Competitive cheerleading involves stunts, tumbling, and dancing which is all fit into a mere two minutes and 30 seconds. Athletes work months to perfect a single routine that they will perform all year to rank themselves against the best of the best.

Some people are on my side, “Yes it is,” says Jesse Stephens. So after hearing my opinion, I hope the people that disagree with my viewpoint consider researching before belittling others passions.