The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Natty Netflix sweeps over students

The T.V. clicks on, the Netflix logo pops up and students wait in anticipation for it to load. Netflix has become a common pastime for students. With such a variety of shows and movies there are hours of procrastination and entertainment to be had.

“I think the best thing is when you start watching a show that if it has a lot of seasons, so you can chill out and keep watching,” Leini Coslett, 11, said. You don’t have to wait until the next week or the next season. Once you finish your shows on Netflix and you actually have to wait for the next season to come out on TV, that sucks.”

Freeform has multiple popular shows on Netflix. Pretty Little Liars, The Fosters, and Switched at Birth generate a high teen audience.

“I like Sons of Anarchy, Once Upon A Time, Pretty Little Liars and Expedition Unknown,” Aspen Smith, 12, said.  

At ten dollars a month, Netflix is more affordable for some families than going to the movies.

“I think it’s a fair price. I don’t pay for it, my parents do. I think it is pretty reasonable for the amount of shows and movies you can watch,” Coslett said.

The video app attracts audiences extending from toddlers watching Yo Gabba Gabba to adults and teens binging on the Walking Dead.

“I think it is amazing how many shows they have for families,” Keegan Leth-Nissen, 11, said.

Netflix provides a description and ratings for each show, so the viewer can decide if it is worth their time to watch. They have updated their system, enabling customers to receive notifications when a show gets new episodes. Netflix also selects “Top Picks for You,” suggesting shows you may enjoy.

“It’s easy and you can watch all your favorite shows and my mom pays for it. I also play video games while watching Netflix,” James-Cash Erickson, 9, said.

Some say that it is almost impossible to stop watching a season of their favorite show because the next episode will play in seconds after the previous one is finished.

“Yeah (I’m addicted), once I finish one show I’m on to another show and it never stops,” Coslett said.

Popcorn, a fuzzy blanket, a beverage of choice, and a worn sofa may be ideal for a Netflixer. Netflix is good for some students because it is easy to multitask while watching shows. One could be doing their chores or homework while streaming Netflix on their favorite device.

“Sometimes I do my homework while watching Netflix, but then I get too distracted by my show. I also do my hair and makeup while watching Netflix,” Smith, 12, said.

There are many reasons why Netflix is so popular, but the contributing factors being the affordable price and the variety of shows. According to Chandra Steel from pcmag.com Netflix leads in original content that viewers enjoy. Other TV providers, such as Amazon Instant Video, HBO, and Starz, will not give up the race to be the best streaming app on the market.