The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Resident basketball expert Devan Zorn recaps the first half of the NBA season

Devan Zorn, 10, Sports Reporter

The 2016-17 season has some of the best collection of talent to ever come to the NBA. From the “super team” Golden State Warriors, to the reigning champions Cleveland Cavaliers, to Oklahoma City Thunder’s Russell Westbrook averaging a triple double, to seemingly out of nowhere players DeMar DeRozan, Kemba Walker and Giannis Antetokounmpo showing what they’re made of. This season is arguably the best collection of talent the NBA has seen since 1996.

Here are just a few of the biggest story lines from the NBA season thus far.

Kevin Durant’s move to the Golden State Warrios

One of the most controversial situations in sports in the last decade was Kevin Durant making his move to Golden State. This was a big upset for Oklahoma City not just as a city but as a family of fans overall. Durant mentioned how the move was about doing what’s best for him but many disagree with his logic. I believe if he would’ve stayed with the Thunder he could’ve got his championship ring the right way, he doesn’t deserve a ring if he’s going to cheat his way in the league by joining the most stacked team in the NBA since the ‘96 Bulls. Russell Westbrook didn’t have much to say about Durant’s move, but I believe he’s showing his emotion on the court and trying to prove to everyone that he can win a ring on his own. With the way Westbrook has been playing this season he seems to be unstoppable, showing Hall of Fame qualities and carrying his team to the playoffs. In my eyes, Durant made the wrong decision and I think it’s going to catch up on him and he’ll realize later on that he made the wrong decision when Westbrook cruises through the playoffs.

Giannis Antetokounmpo, “The Greek Freak”

This season Giannis Antetokounmpo has been living up to his nickname, making his way to becoming one of the top 5 players in the league. Drafted in 2013 with the 15th overall selection only 22 years old, he’s displaying what the Bucks are starting to become and making a name for himself. This season he’s averaged 23 ppg, nearly 6 apg, and 9 rpg. His averages are amazing for only being 22 years old with 3 years in the NBA. He is making headlines nearly every game, showing up and killing it. I think Giannis is on his way to being one of the best in the NBA for the next 5-7 years while he still hasn’t hit his prime. This young man has a lot in store for him, off and on the court.

Russell Westbrook having a legendary season

After Durant left the Thunder, Westbrook had to take things into his own hands by taking over and taking his game to the next level. Not only is Westbrook one of the top scorers in the league, he is averaging a triple double. A triple double is 10 or more points, rebounds, and assists altogether, every single game. This season his numbers are 31 ppg, 10 apg, and 10 rpg, which is absolutely incredible. Westbrook may even be one of the best to ever play the game.

Finals Predictions

This season there’s lots of talk about who’s going to be the new champions.

With more teams stepping up, coming in every game and playing their hearts out it’s hard to tell who’s going to take the trophy home. Some of the top prospects for the finals are Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, and the LA Clippers. The Thunder, Raptors, Celtics, Trail Blazers, and Rockets are also some teams that are being highly considered if they can play at their highest capacity and prove the league wrong. I personally would like to see the Raptors and the Cavs go at it during the Eastern Conference Finals with a big win from the Raptors, along with the Thunder beating the Warriors in a 7th game, making the Raptors & Thunder face up against each other during the finals. To me with the way the Clippers have been playing they have a big chance, but I see another team in the finals. The Spurs are an amazing team and have great potential to be the best team in the league, with Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge, they can use their star power to lead their team to the finals, the spurs are an amazing team and deserve a championship. It’s all up to these teams to use their skills, heart, and their best teamwork to work their way through the top during the playoffs, it’s still anyone’s game.