The official student news site of Circle High School

Circle Vision

Harrison and the Haitians

Noel Hawkins, 9

Harrison Metzger, freshman, just recently returned from a mission trip to Les Cayes, Haiti. Metzger went to Haiti because his grandparents have gone multiple times and he was intrigued by their experiences. While in Haiti, Metzger put roofs on churches and schools with his Dad and other people in his group. The people of Haiti built the main foundations of the buildings and Metzger’s group applied the finishing touches.

“It gives you a whole new perception on everything here. When you go down there you see that they have nothing, when you drive by they just smile and wave. I feel like I shouldn’t be complaining about my life,” says Metzger when asked if the trip impacted his life in any way.

Metzger traveled to Haiti with a group called Harvest Call from the Apostolic Church of America and stayed there for seven days from Friday to Friday. Haiti is a third-world country which means that this country is not aligned with NATO or capitalism. This makes Haiti a developing country and is very poor.

“There’s a lot of poverty, we can’t imagine the stuff they have down there. They don’t have phones or anything we have. Go in your bedroom and pick something and they don’t have it there,” says Metzger.

This trip costs around $1000 to $1500. Metzger says that if it wasn’t so expensive he would make the trip annual. “There’s people from everywhere that go to help,” says Metzger.

The Apostolic Church of America is based in over 10 states across the country. Harvest Call took 16 people with them to Haiti. In Haiti, this group provides a hospital and a construction center with a working dental team and pediatricians.

Metzger experienced many things that he believes were unique events. For example, he regularly goes to church and was surprised to learn that you were only allowed to attend services and sunday school at Haitian run churches if you owned nice clothing. Because of the poverty in Haiti, church is a privilege for the Haitians and we often take church every Sunday for granted here in America.

“Getting to be around and essentially stay with the Haitians was really eye opening and it made me think about how much we have as Americans. I mean, we say ‘..We are blessed in the states!’ But are we really blessed or are we just spoiled?” says Metzger.

Metzger would like to take this trip again in the future but he doesn’t know when exactly he will take the trip again. Overall, Metzger believes that his week in Haiti has made him more grateful for what he has in life and the connections he has with God.

“When I looked at the people in the church, it just struck me how the only thing these people had was their faith in God and I was like, ‘these people who all they have is God, seem happier than I am in my own spoiled little selfish world in the states.’ All of this makes me realize in the end that it doesn’t matter what you have in this world. If you have repented of your sins and you are a child of God, you have nothing to complain about and you should ‘Count it all joy,’ like James 1:2 says.”