Circle Vision

This Just-in: Ralph joins CHS staff

Kara Ragan, 12

The 2017- 18 school year starts a new journey for freshman and the last year seniors will walk the halls. Additionally, Circle lost many teachers and gained new staff.

Specifically, Amanda Porter, Drama Instructor, left Circle and pursued a new teaching job, leaving a space for Justin Ralph to move right in.

Before coming to Circle, Mr. Ralph graduated from Newman university with an undergraduate in theatre. After his graduation he moved to sandy San Diego, California. There he spent his days working at a retirement home. After a while he decided to move back to Kansas to pursue teaching. It did not happen right away and he worked odd jobs, including fast food and acting as a personal assistant to a community theater producer in downtown Wichita.

Drama Instructor Justin Ralph came to Circle because he wanted a position as a drama teacher. According to Ralph, his greatest apprehension was the unknown. So far he has settled in well.

“The staff has been very welcoming and helpful as I transition into my first year as a teacher. The students are great! Patient, helpful, and kind as I figure out how I want to teach my subjects and manage my classroom. Y’all are a bunch of rock stars,” Ralph said.

He enjoys the fact theater is universal and loves the storytelling element. He hopes to get the Thunderbird Thespian troupe more involved with other thespians and clubs within Circle. Ralph’s goal is to attend The Kansas Thespian Festival in January. Additionally, he hopes his drama students can  reach out to the community and get involved in community service projects.

When Justin was young, he had ambitions of becoming a vet, but realized that was not the path meant for him. In middle school he became heavily involved in theater by participating in drama and joining the choir. At this time he discovered his aptitude for teaching and the potential he possessed for coaching.

“Consciously? No! Subconsciously? I always knew (teaching was my destiny). I wanted to be a Veterinarian when I was really little. But according to my fourth grade teacher, I always tried to take control of the class. I started doing musicals, choir, and drama when I was in the 7th grade. I got bit hard by the acting bug and wanted to be a professional actor for a long time,” Ralph said. “As I got closer and closer to being able to try and become an actor, I realized I was not mentally prepared for that lifestyle. I always enjoyed coaching, helping, and aiding people with-well-anything they’d let me help them with! Eventually it just made sense-I should be a teacher! And now here I am!”

Ralph is excited to be at Circle and the prospect of the expansion of the program into other aspects of school and the community of Towanda. He believes there are great things in store for the drama department.