Circle Vision

The power of empowerment

Back to Article
Back to Article

The power of empowerment

When I was little, in kindergarten, I had a  weird dream of wanting to be an astronaut. In class, we had to draw a picture of what we wanted to be. My teacher told us to raise our hands and give a few examples. So I rose my hand and gave my answer. My teacher, a female, said “Do something a girl would do.”  This is something I’ll never forget as long as I live.

Women get degraded a lot, sometimes without even knowing it. My story being an example, only being 5 or 6 I understood what my teacher said wasn’t right. Why couldn’t I be an astronaut but a boy could?  I hear a quote often the really irritates me “Don’t be a p****”. I hear women saying this quote. Why? I guarantee I can do a lot of things that men can’t. In fact we all started out as female in the uterus.

I see websites that some women get on that have to do with “keeping him interested” or websites that tell women what men do or don’t like. I think I’m amazing and beautiful and I don’t need guys to tell me that. Yes, I have a boyfriend and it does feel good to hear him telling me that stuff, but I already know I am.

One of the most degrading things in high schools for girls is playing mostly male dominated sports, or being told that you can’t participate since you’re a girl.

“Yes, the girls we have here are great athletes. Some of the girls can out lift the guys,” weights teacher Logan Clothier said when asked about women’s strength in his classes. “In the past, the weight room has just been for the guys, but it’s not. It’s for everyone, wether you’re an athlete or not. The weight room is for your self, to make yourself stronger. So just taking the time to make yourself faster and stronger is what it takes.” – replied Clothier. In Clothier’s weight classes combined he has 105 students, 73 of which being boys, and only 32 being girls.

To get different personal views we took some interviews to see how people felt about different things.

30 men were interviewed and asked if they have ever used the term, “Don’t be a p****”?”. Twenty-nine said yes and only one said no. Then the boys were challenged to reword the quote using school appropriate terms. “Don’t be a wuss”  was the number one answer.  The one that stuck out the most to me was the one that said “Don’t be a girl”.

‘Do you think men and women are treated equal?’ The results shocked me. Yes 8, sometimes 7, no 15.

100 women were interviewed, students and teachers. The questions asked were difficult for some girls to answer. The first question, ‘Do you think you are beautiful?’. 52 women said yes, 23 said some days, 25 said no. I think every woman is beautiful in her own unique way.

‘Do you think men and women are treated equal?’. 12 said yes, 18 said sometimes, 70 said no.

“You are treated in the manner you expect to be treated,” said Mrs.Finneran.

‘Have you ever been degraded for being a woman?’ Reading my story you all already know my answer. 62 women said yes and 38 said no. ‘Do you find the quote “Don’t be a p****”’ degrading to women. Everyone had their own opinions on this question and I loved listening to them. It even kind of changed they way I felt about the quote. 57 said yes.

Hearing how many women felt that they were beautiful was awesome, because we aren’t as insecure as society makes us out to be. We help bring each other up, every time a woman said she didn’t think she was beautiful another woman told her that she was.  We are beautiful, we are strong, we are amazing. We get stuff done! Empowered women empower women.