Circle Vision

Bird Cage Brawl: Teachers prove too tough for seniors

Noel Hawkins, 10

On Thursday, February 1, the Circle High faculty competed against the senior class in a friendly game of basketball. We use the term “competed” loosely. The faculty finished with a strong 29-17 win.

Before the main event, the winter homecoming candidates were announced. For the girls: Keely Shaft, Autumn Olson, and Ciara Dutton. For the boys: Hunter Lies, Lane Coulter, and Ramon Marmol-Cervera. “It’s awesome to be nominated, I didn’t expect it,” Marmol-Cervera says.

The candidates even played in a friendly game of ‘Who is most likely to…’. Some questions included, “most likely to become president,” “most likely to assist a turtle on the side of the road,” and “most likely to cheat on a test and fail.” The results of these questions being voted on by their fellow students. “It’s funny that I was voted most likely to fail a test I cheated on because that has definitely happened before,” Lies said.

The referees of the basketball game included junior Carissa Beck, senior Camron Perry, and the athletic director John Coslett. Of course, where would basketball be without a charismatic announcer, and our very own Mr. Carroll provided just that for us on Thursday.

On the faculty team, we saw impressive performances from Clothier, Henry, Tarletsky, Raasch, Pyle, Jamison, Dreifort, Jacobs, Nibarger, and even superintendent Mr. Potter hit the court.

On the students’ team, players included Kristen Horyna, Mason Lain, Landon Myers, Noah Tosh, Caleb Page, Nathan Todd, JD Fox, Stellar Knapp, Ciara Dutton, Cole Duncan, Avery Stuever, Chance Perales, and most valuable player Randy Webb. The students were coached by seniors Lane Coulter, Jackson Falkner, and Dylan Meier. “Our players were highly motivated but poorly prepared,” Falkner commented.

We couldn’t possibly forget about the amazing cheerleaders for both teams. For the faculty, we saw a side of Mr. Ralph that can never be unseen. Ralph and Finneran both showed outstanding amounts of spirit for their colleagues.

For the students, sophomores Emmet Keller, Espen Dziewulski, Corbin Tandy, and Solomon Bowen modeled vintage cheer uniforms and strutted their stuff on the sidelines.

“I think cheerleading is a very fun and active thing to do. It is very challenging and tiring at times but if you’re having fun like I was then it’s all worth it,” says Bowen.

In the middle of the game, things between the two opposing cheer teams turned hostile. A cheer war broke out on the court. The teams exchanged jumps and different moves in order to intimidate one another. It’s hard to decide who took the win after the battle was cut short by the continuation of the game. “It was a weird kind of fun but I would definitely do it again,” says Dziewulski.

Some highlights include Mr. Tarletsky being completely laid out by the student’s one-and-only Randy Webb. “Man if that thing doesn’t make it on YouTube I’m going to be mad, I wouldn’t be surprised if I got scholarships from it,” says Webb. At least we can rest easy knowing Mr. T didn’t get away without being embarrassed. We all remember the casual headshot in the dodgeball game Tarletsky.

While Tarletsky didn’t get away without embarrassment, he also contributed to the team with 3-pointers and at least tried to finesse the students. “I can’t pretend I’m overly surprised something like that happened. Randy told me he would put me on a poster and he sure did,” says Tarletsky.

Ms. Raasch was all over the court giving her team multiple rebounds and set up the faculty for many shots. “Playing made me realize how much I miss playing competitive basketball. Stay active kids, you never know when or why you’ll need to be in good shape,” Raasch told us.

Dreifort and Potter showed stunning defense against the students and managed to block several advances to goal. “It was a good time to get out with the kids and have a fun time. I really enjoyed it. You realize how quickly you get out of shape,” says Potter.

We can expect many more events that pit students against teachers because of the many positive reactions from us students. You better eat your Wheaties and start bringing home some dubs kids.